All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu
Airtime

Authentic music returns to Kings Island’s historic carousel

By Craig Webb Published: July 21, 2014

The band organ on Kings Island’s Grand Carousel was turned back on over the weekend.

The carousel’s band organ, which was built in 1918, last operated in 2006.

The park’s Grand Carousel features 48 horses — 28 jumping horses and 20 stationary horses.

The carousel was built in 1926 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company and was among the rides that were brought to the park for its opening from Coney Island in Cincinnati in 1972.

The park notes that the classic carousel is "painted with more than 20,000 sheets of 23-karat gold and 1,000 sheets of sterling silver."

It is also a real workhorse as it has given more than 21 million rides since 1972. It is the 15th-most ridden ride in park history.

The Grand Carousel, located on International Street, had its record year was 1973 when 865,690 rides were given.

The ride’s duration is two minutes.

It is the oldest ride in the park.

 

SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

  • Main Blog Promo
  • Cavs Blog Promo
  • Browns Blog Promo
  • Indians Blog Promo
  • Beer Blog Promo
  • Fracking Blog Promo
  • High School Blog Promo
  • Zips Blog Promo
  • Akron Dish Food Blog
Prev Next