A few months ago, I attempted to determine Barack Obama's actual positions on issues, because his speeches were mostly collections of generalities, offering little of substance. I read his book 'Audacity Of Hope' and found it to have the same vague content as his speeches, and his website didn't offer anything either, so I came away frustrated in my attempt.
That has now changed. Obama's speeches are still mostly billowy inspirational sloganeering, but his website has more in-depth explanations of Obama's plans and solutions to the issues facing our country. You can link to his website here. I urge everyone who is considering voting for Barack Obama to read his entire website.
What I found on Obama's website only confirmed what had already seemed apparent to me, that Barack Obama is a big government Big Brother liberal who would greatly increase the size and scope of government, dramatically increase spending, and implement all kinds of new government programs and regulations. If you think I'm exaggerating the least little bit, I'm not. Following are some of the solutions Obama has in mind for america.
Note - For those not familiar with liberal terminology, I offer this brief Liberal-To-English primer, so you can decipher Obama's lingo. ALL of the following words and phrases, when used by a liberal, translate to 'spend the taxpayer's hard earned money' - Invest, Provide, Increase funding, Create a fund, Create a program, Assistance, Incentives, Increase, Cash prizes, Subsidies, Reimburse.
Be afraid. Be very afraid.
Obama's proposed government spending increases:
- invest in America’s highly-skilled manufacturing workforce and manufacturing centers to ensure that American workers have the skills and tools they need...
- provide assistance to the domestic auto industry to ensure that new fuel-efficient vehicles are built by American workers.
- increase funding for federal workforce training programs and direct these programs to incorporate green technologies training
- create an energy-focused youth jobs program to invest in disconnected and disadvantaged youth.
- invest in rural small businesses and fight to expand high-speed Internet access. He will improve rural schools and attract more doctors to rural areas.
- Create a fund to help people refinance their mortgages and provide comprehensive supports to innocent homeowners.
- provide a $1.5 billion fund to assist states with start-up costs and to help states offset the costs for employees and employers (for expanded family paid work leave).
- double funding for the main federal support for afterschool programs, the 21st Century Learning Centers program.
- create a program to inform businesses about the benefits of flexible work schedules; help businesses create flexible work opportunities; and increase federal incentives for telecommuting.
- provide job training, substance abuse and mental health counseling to ex-offenders (criminals), so that they are successfully re-integrated into society
- create a prison-to-work incentive program to improve ex-offender employment and job retention rates.
- quadruple Early Head Start, increase Head Start funding
- provide affordable and high-quality child care to ease the burden on working families.
- reform NCLB, which starts by funding the law
- provide funding to school districts to invest in intervention strategies in middle school strategies such as personal academic plans, teaching teams, parent involvement, mentoring, intensive reading and math instruction, and extended learning time (for school dropouts).
- double funding for the main federal support for afterschool programs, the 21st Century Learning Centers program, to serve one million more children.
- provide incentives to give teachers paid common planning time so they can collaborate to share best practices.
- promote new and innovative ways to increase teacher pay that are developed with teachers, not imposed on them.
- invest $150 billion over 10 years to advance the next generation of biofuels and fuel infrastructure, accelerate the commercialization of plug-in hybrids, promote development of commercial-scale renewable energy, invest in low-emissions coal plants, and begin the transition to a new digital electricity grid.
- double science and research funding for clean energy projects including those that make use of our biomass, solar and wind resources.
- create an energy-focused Green Jobs Corps to connect disconnected and disadvantaged youth with job skills for a high-growth industry.
- establish a federal investment program to help manufacturing centers modernize and Americans learn the new skills they need to produce green products.
- create a Clean Technologies Venture Capital Fund to fill a critical gap in U.S. technology development. Obama will invest $10 billion per year into this fund for five years.
- invest federal resources, including tax incentives, cash prizes and government contracts into developing the most promising technologies with the goal of getting the first two billion gallons of cellulosic ethanol into the system by 2013.
- invest in advanced vehicle technology such as advanced lightweight materials and new engines (to increase fuel mileage standards).
- pursue a major investment in our utility grid to enable a tremendous increase in renewable generation and accommodate modern energy requirements
- will create a centralized Internet database of lobbying reports, ethics records, and campaign finance filings in a searchable, sortable and downloadable format.
- fight for an independent watchdog agency to oversee the investigation of congressional ethics violations so that the public can be assured that ethics complaints will be investigated.
- create a "contracts and influence" database that will disclose how much federal contractors spend on lobbying, and what contracts they are getting and how well they complete them.
- devote $50 million for transitional and bridge employment programs for hard-to-employ groups like homeless veterans, children aging out of foster care, and people returning to communities after a time in prison.
- The STOP FRAUD Act criminalizes mortgage fraud, authorizes $10 million more for anti-mortgage fraud programs
- a new national health plan to all Americans, including the self-employed and small businesses, to buy affordable health coverage that is similar to the plan available to members of Congress.
- Subsidies: Individuals and families who do not qualify for Medicaid or SCHIP but still need financial assistance will receive an income-related federal subsidy to buy into the new public plan or purchase a private health care plan.
- create a National Health Insurance Exchange to help individuals who wish to purchase a private insurance plan.
- expand eligibility for the Medicaid and SCHIP programs
- reimburse employer health plans for a portion of the catastrophic costs they incur above a threshold if they guarantee such savings are used to reduce the cost of workers' premiums.
- invest $10 billion a year over the next five years to move the U.S. health care system to broad adoption of standards-based electronic health information systems, including electronic health records, and will phase in requirements for full implementation of health IT.
- strengthen funding for biomedical research
- provide $37.5 million over 5 years for drinking water systems to upgrade their monitoring and security efforts.
Whew. I only made it about halfway through the issues section of Obama's website to come up with this list, so the actual list of spending increases is probably double this. You'll have to read the website yourself if you wish to see the rest.
As with all liberals, Obama seems to see every single conceivable problem as requiring government intervention, new government programs, and new government funding. That attitude, whether held by Democrats or Republicans, is the real reason this country is $9 trillion in debt and facing enormous unfunded financial liabilities that threaten our future. That is the real reason your liberties are being taken from you. Government intervention comes with a price, and that price is the sacrifice of freedoms. We must reverse this trend. We've been trying the big government way for my entire life, and things have only gotten progressively worse. Obama doesn't represent CHANGE anymore than I represent The Wizard Of Oz. Obama represents the standard, garden variety, big government status quo. He may represent a change from Bush on Iraq, but the rest is the same old, same old, taxpayer ripoff government encroachment that's been going on for decades. DON'T FALL FOR IT. Find the candidate who is for limited government and fiscal responsibility, and vote for that person, wherever they are on the political spectrum. The future of your country depends upon it.
About This Blog