Cleveland Browns' wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi during practice at the NFL football team's training camp Monday, Aug. 1, 2011, in Berea, Ohio. (AP Photo/Tony Dejak)
Here's what you need to know about the 10th practice of Browns training camp:
- Positive development: Wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi replaced his black cast with a gray walking boot, evoking optimism about possibly returning to practice as early as next week. Massaquoi injured a bone in his left foot and has been sidelined since training camp opened. He watched this morning's practice from the sidelines. "I wouldn't put a day on (his expected return), but that's obviously the progression," coach Pat Shurmur said. "You go from the from the cast, to the walking boot, to the shoe. ... There's a possibility, a possibility, he could be out here running around next week." With Massaquoi, who's pictured to the left, on the active/non-football injury list, Brian Robiskie and Josh Cribbs are listed as the top two wide receivers on the team's depth chart.
- Other injury updates: In addition to Massaquoi, defensive end Jayme Mitchell (left knee), linebacker Chris Gocong (stinger), running back Montario Hardesty (torn ACL in his left knee last year) and defensive end Jabari Fletcher (sprained right knee) were sidelined today. Shurmur said offensive lineman Dominic Alford was carted off the field today after suffering a back injury. Mitchell missed action with a sore knee, Shurmur said. Defensive end Derreck Robinson took Mitchell's spot with the first-team defense.
- Back to the grind: Defensive back Ramzee Robinson (groin) and defensive lineman Kyle Anderson (ankle) returned to practice today after sitting out Tuesday with injuries.
- Practice highlights and lowlights: In 11-on-11 action, quarterback Colt McCoy connected with tight end Evan Moore for a completion of about 25 yards along the sideline. ... Quarterback Jarrett Brown connected with wide receivers Rod Windsor and L.J. Castile on long touchdown passes. Before throwing the pass to Castile, Brown evaded defenders by rolling to his right. ... Rookie strong safety Eric Hagg broke up a pass from Brown that was intended for rookie tight end Jordan Cameron. ... Robiskie sneaked behind defenders and hauled in a nice intermediate pass from McCoy in the middle of the field. ... In 7-on-7 drills, Cribbs dived to catch a pass from McCoy over the middle. ... McCoy threw a pass about 50 yards to rookie wide receiver Greg Little, who won a jump ball against free safety Usama Young to record the reception in 11-on-11. ... In two-minute drills, running back Brandon Jackson dropped a pass, and it was almost intercepted by middle linebacker D'Qwell Jackson. Brandon Jackson ran the same route on the next play and made the catch. ... The first-team offense finished its two-minute period with backup kicker Jeff Wolfert missing a 51-yard field goal wide left. ... Wolfert made a 42-yard field goal as time expired to cap the second-team offense's two-minute drill. ... Undrafted rookie cornerback James Dockery intercepted a pass from Brown to end the third-team offense's two-minute period. Dockery also broke up a pass from Wallace during the second-team offense's drill.
- For more highlights, check out my Twitter profile.