Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy (12) looks to pass during an NFL football game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Thursday, Dec. 8, 2011, in Pittsburgh. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)
Browns coach Pat Shurmur met with reporters today before his team practiced in preparation for its regular-season finale at home against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Here are some of the highlights from the news conference:
- Quarterback Colt McCoy has not been medically cleared to play, Shurmur said. McCoy has not practiced since he suffered a concussion Dec. 8 as a result of the helmet-to-facemask hit he took from Steelers linebacker James Harrison. McCoy has been attending meetings, lifting weights and running, but he has not passed his daily baseline concussion test, Shurmur said. "He's not passing it," Shurmur said. "Until it's passed, he can't play. ... He's much better and he feels a lot better and he's doing more, but until he's cleared to play, he can't." Shurmur said McCoy has expressed his desire to return to the field.
- With McCoy still sidelined, quarterback Seneca Wallace is in line to make his third consecutive start. "It'll probably be just like last week," Shurmur said. "He's taking all the reps and the longer it goes in the week, pretty darn good shot he'll be the starter."
- Wide receiver Jordan Norwood (concussion) hasn't been cleared to play, either, Shurmur said.
- Offensive lineman Tony Pashos will miss practice today with an illness, Shurmur said. Pashos and linebacker Quinton Spears (head) are expected to return to practice Thursday, Shurmur said.
- Wide receiver Josh Cribbs has been named the Browns' 2011 Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee. "We're proud to make him our nominee," Shurmur said. The NFL Man of the Year will be announced Feb. 5, 2012, during the Super Bowl. The award honors players for their performance on the field and involvement in community service.
- The Browns signed wide receiver Owen Spencer to the practice squad. Spencer, an undrafted rookie from North Carolina State University, has been on the practice squads of the Seattle Seahawks, the Detroit Lions and the Minnesota Vikings this season.