Browns coach Pat Shurmur met with reporters this afternoon for his post-practice news conference. Here are some highlights from his chat with reporters:
- No final decision has been made on the status of running back Brandon Jackson, who's in a cast with a toe injury. But Jackson might be placed on injured reserve today, Shurmur said.
- Wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, who missed all four preseason games with a left foot injury, will play in the Browns' regular-season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals, Shurmur said.
- Shurmur said he expects tight end Benjamin Watson (hip) to return to practice soon. Shurmur said he's hoping Watson comes back Monday.
- Linebacker Chris Gocong (pinched nerve) is "very close" to returning to practice, Shurmur said.
- When asked if rookie strong safety Eric Hagg will be put on IR, Shurmur said, "At this point, we're gonna see how he comes back from injury." Hagg had surgery on his left knee on Aug. 15.
- Shurmur said roster cuts could be impacted somewhat by backup middle linebacker Titus Brown's high-ankle sprain. But Shurmur also said, "We're anticipating that there's a chance he could be back soon."