All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu
Cleveland Browns

Browns will try to re-sign DE Marcus Benard even if they don't offer him restricted free-agent tender

By Nate Ulrich Published: February 25, 2012

The Browns will try to re-sign defensive end Marcus Benard, even if they don't offer him a restricted free-agent tender, a league source said.

Pro Football Talk reported this morning that the Browns don't plan to make Benard a tender offer. However, the source told the Beacon Journal "nothing is set in stone on that."

If the Browns don't tender Benard, they would still try to sign him to a free-agent contract. Free agency is scheduled to begin at 4 p.m. March 13.

Benard is rehabilitating from injuries he suffered in a motorcycle accident in October and expects to make a full recovery and be able to play football again, Browns General Manger Tom Heckert told the Beacon Journal earlier this month. Other than a broken hand, Benard’s injuries were not disclosed.

Benard spent the final 12 games of the season on the reserve non-football injury list. After Benard's motorcycle accident, the Browns paid him about $370,000, the remainder of his 2011 base salary of $525,000, even though they weren’t required to do so once he was placed on the list.

Benard, 26, led the Browns with 7.5 sacks in 2010.

Print
Add This

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Prev Next

Browns news, features and notes

SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS