Former Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme has agreed to terms of a two-year contract with the Browns, a league source said Saturday evening.
Delhomme never made his scheduled visit to New Orleans Friday and Saturday, the source said.
Delhomme, 35, was released by the Panthers on March 4, even though they still owed him $12.68 million in guaranteed money. He compiled a 58-40 record as a starter for seven years in Carolina.
Delhomme is a Louisiana native who began his career with the Saints in 1998 and played there for five seasons. Some felt Delhomme would be more comfortable with his old team, even though he would be backing up Super Bowl MVP Drew Brees.
But in Cleveland, Delhomme will have a great chance to win the starting job. Derek Anderson was released Tuesday and Brady Quinn's days are apparently numbered. New Browns president Mike Holmgren told the Cleveland Plain Dealer on Friday that Quinn's future was tied to whether they could find another quarterback via trade or free agency.
Delhomme's arrival will give the Browns four quarterbacks on the roster. They acquired seven-year veteran Seneca Wallace in a trade with Seattle Monday for a conditional seventh-round pick in 2011. Brett Ratliff, acquired in a draft day trade last year, could also be expendable since the Browns now appear likely to select a quarterback in the April 22-24 draft.
Apparently Holmgren does not share the Panthers' belief that Delhomme began to decline in the 2008 playoffs with a six-turnover performance in a divisional loss to Arizona. Last season Delhomme threw eight touchdown passes and 18 interceptions, completed just 55.5 percent and compiled a 59.4 rating in 11 games before suffering a broken finger.
Holmgren may have been swayed by Delhomme's playoff expereince. In 2003, he led the Panthers to the Super Bowl in his first season in Carolina. In 2005, they reached the NFC Championship game.