Browns coach Eric Mangini met with reporters Thursday afternoon before his team's practice from 1:30-3:30 p.m. Here are the highlights from the press conference:
- Mangini said punter Dave Zastudil won't return to practice Thursday, but he should be back Friday. On Wednesday, Mangini said Zastudil would return Thursday.
- Mangini explained why his players aren't supposed to participate in full-contact tackling during their intrasquad scrimmage Saturday. He said they'll get enough contact between the time the preseason games begin and the regular season starts.
- Mangini said fullback Lawrence Vickers sat out with a "minor" injury during both practices Wednesday, and he should be back to practice Thursday afternoon. Mangini said linebacker Eric Barton should also return after sitting out during Wednesday evening's practice. Barton, though, was not injured when he sat out.
- Mangini said Barton was one of the "offseason award winners," meaning he received a certificate for one practice off as part of his prize. Mangini said defensive back Mike Adams and tight end Benjamin Watson will sit out Thursday afternoon by redeeming their certificates. "They're not hurt," Mangini said. "They're just redeeming something that they were awarded. And I have no problem with that. It was well deserved."
- Mangini said he likes what he's been seeing from quarterback Jake Delhomme during training camp.
- Browns kicker Phil Dawson really understands how to take care of his body, and that's one of the reasons he's been so consistent throughout his career, Mangini said.
- Mangini said defensive lineman Shaun Rogers will play nose tackle and defensive end upon his return. It's a way to build versatility on the Browns' defensive line, Mangini said.
- Defensive back Chris Roberson will miss some time after suffering an injury Wednesday, Mangini said. Roberson suffered a leg injury and was carted off the field after covering wide receiver Josh Cribbs on a deep pass play. Mangini said he'll be back in the next couple of weeks.