Browns coach Eric Mangini met with reporters Thursday morning. Here are some highlights from the press conference:
- Mangini said rookie running back Montario Hardesty will practice today. Mangini said Hardesty's participation in practice will be limited. Mangini said Hardesty is questionable "with the arrow pointing down" for Saturday's preseason game against the Detroit Lions.
- Defensive back Coye Francies is off the Browns' physically unable to perform list and will practice today, Mangini said.
- Mangini said offensive lineman John St. Clair won't practice for the third consecutive day. St. Clair is still away for personal reasons. During St. Clair's absence, Tony Pashos has been practicing at right tackle with the first-team offense.
- Performances on special teams will likely be the deciding factors in the battle between running backs James Davis and Chris Jennings for a roster spot, Mangini said.
- Is there a chance cornerback Sheldon Brown could move to safety with the development of rookie cornerback Joe Haden? It doesn't seem likely at this point. Mangini said he likes what rookie T.J. Ward, Abram Elam and Mike Adams have done at safety.