Browns coach Eric Mangini met with reporters Wednesday morning. Here are some of the highlights from the press conference:
- Mangini said his players voted for team captains. Here are the captains: Offense -- quarterback Jake Delhomme and left tackle Joe Thomas. Defense -- kicker Phil Dawson and returner Josh Cribbs. Defense -- linebacker Scott Fujita and defensive lineman Robaire Smith. Despite being in their first year with the Browns, Delhomme and Fujita are perfect fits to be captains, Mangini said. "They're really good people and they have inherent leadership qualities," Mangini said.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have improved quite a bit defensively, Mangini said. They're good at forcing turnovers. Mangini also broke down the Buccaneers' offense, which includes a veteran line and some talented running backs, Mangini said. The Buccaneers special teams is also stellar in Mangini's eyes.
- Mangini said either Floyd Womack or Shawn Lauvao will start at right guard and either John St. Clair or Tony Pashos will start at right tackle on Sunday. It will be a decision that's made at the end of this week, he said.
- Mangini addressed the Browns waiving linebacker David Veikune, a 2009 second-round draft pick: "He is a hard worker," Mangini said. "He is a smart guy, and he's learned a new position. We wished we had plenty of time to keep letting these guys develop. We just couldn't and had to make a decision." Mangini added linebackers Marcus Benard and Titus Brown progressed significantly, and that factored into the Browns' decision to waive Veikune.
- Mangini said he has a pretty good idea about which players will form his active roster of 45 on Sunday. But it could change because no one knows what will happen at practice, he said.