Browns coach Eric Mangini met with reporters Thursday morning. Here are some of the highlights from the press conference:
- Mangini said the same players who missed Wednesday's practice will sit out today, including defensive lineman Shaun Rogers and offensive lineman Shawn Lauvao.
- Jake Delhomme could be the starting quarterback, the backup quarterback or the No. 3 quarterback based on how his injured right ankle progresses, Mangini said.
- Mangini wouldn't reveal the details of his discussion with Browns President Mike Holmgren about quarterback Seneca Wallace, but he said, "It was all good stuff."
- Mangini said he liked Kansas City Chiefs rookie safety Eric Berry when he talked to him leading up to the draft. "He was all football," Mangini said. "He had a very mature, professional approach to pro football."
- Browns linebacker D'Qwell Jackson (pectoral injury) might return to practice Friday, but Mangini said he's not 100 percent sure it that will happen. As for Jackson playing in Sunday's home opener, Mangini said he just wants to see Jackson practice before he worries about him playing in a game.
- Mangini on Browns rookie safety T.J. Ward: Even if he's unsure where he's going, he's gonna get there fast and someone is gonna get hit.
- Mangini on Browns defensive lineman Shaun Rogers: "He's big and he's athletic. ... They do have to know where he is and be ready to deal with him."