All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu
Cleveland Browns

'Next week' on Stallworth

By Marla Ridenour Published: March 26, 2009

An announcement on possible charges against Browns receiver Donte Stallworth stemming from a fatal car accident is not expected until next week, a Miami Beach police department spokesperson said.

Detective Jenny Velazquez said Thursday she had spoken to the lead detective on the case and was told to expect developments next week.

Driving a two-door Bentley, Stallworth struck and killed pedestrian Mario Reyes, 59, at 7:17 a.m. on March 14 on the MacArthur Causeway. In the accident report released Tuesday, Stallworth told police he flashed his lights at Reyes, who reportedly had just left work as a crane operator and was crossing the street to catch a bus. The accident report said Reyes was not in the crosswalk.

The toxicology report on Stallworth has not been released, but multiple reports last week said Stallworth's blood alcohol level was above the legal limit of .08. WFOR Channel 4 in Miami reported it was .14, which could bring a charge of DUI manslaughter.

Stallworth has been working out in Berea with his teammates in the off-season program, according to his attorney, Chris Lyons of Miami.

Print
Add This

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Prev Next

Browns news, features and notes

SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS