In their second practice of the day, the Browns practiced from about 5:45-7:45 p.m. Here are my observations from the evening session:
- Running back Peyton Hillis appeared on the field again, but he was sidelined and limited to working out on a stationary bike. Other players who sat out: Running back Montario Hardesty, punter Dave Zastudil, fullback Lawrence Vickers, defensive linemen Shaun Rogers, C.J. Mosley and Derreck Robinson, defensive backs Coye Francies, DeAngelo Smith and Chris Roberson, linebackers Titus Brown and Eric Barton.
- Here's what I scribbled on my note pad while watching a session of seven-on-seven: Quarterback Jake Delhomme hit tight end Benjamin Watson with a touchdown pass. ... Tight end Evan Moore dropped a pass from Delhomme. ... Delhomme hit tight end Alex Smith with a touchdown pass. ... Wide receiver Josh Cribbs dropped a pass from quarterback Seneca Wallace.
- The personnel on the right side of the offensive line continued to be juggled. Floyd Womack played right guard, and John St. Clair played right tackle for the first-team offense. In the morning Womack and St. Clair were the backups to rookie Shawn Lauvao (right guard) and Tony Pashos (right tackle).
- Some highlights from a session of 11-of-11 in the red zone: Delhomme hit Watson with a touchdown pass. ... Delhomme found wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi for a touchdown in the back of the end zone. ... Wallace hit Moore with a touchdown pass. ... Wide receiver Bobby Engram made a great catch on a pass from quarterback Brett Ratliff, causing rookie safety Larry Asante to receive a tongue lashing on the sideline from one of his coaches.
- During a session of individual drills between 11-on-11 time, defensive line coach Bryan Cox went unleashed a verbal assault on defensive lineman Brian Sanford. "What did I just say?" Cox yelled. "What have I been saying? Well, do what I say." Cox also mixed in a few words I can't publish in this space.
- Back to another 11-on-11 session: Linebacker Scott Fujita swatted down a pass from Delhomme. ... Wallace hit Cribbs on a sharp post route to the inside. ... Rookie wide receiver Johnathan Haggerty caught a pass from Wallace in the back of the end zone. Later, Haggerty went up for a jump ball in the end zone, but couldn't haul it in. Rookie corner back Joe Haden was in coverage on the play. ... Rookie wide receiver Carlton Mitchell dropped a pass from Ratliff.
- The Browns ended practice with a full-squad goal-line session. Here are the highlights in chronological order: After the defense stopped the offense short of the end zone on two running plays, linebacker Chris Gocong intercepted a floater of a pass thrown by Delhomme. ... The offense, though, responded with Jame Davis' rushing touchdown to the left and Wallace's touchdown pass to Moore. ... In the grand finale, Wallace threw a high pass intended for Moore, but Haden jumped and knocked the ball away. ... It was probably the highlight of training camp for Haden thus far.
- As I walked back to the media room, I heard somebody (presumably a player) yell, "Way to kick their (bleep), defense."