☰ Menu
Cleveland Browns

Stallworth reinstated Sunday

By Marla Ridenour Published: February 5, 2010

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed during his state of the league press conference Friday that Browns receiver Donte' Stallworth will be reinstated ''after the Super Bowl on Sunday.''

Stallworth was suspended for the season after pleading guilty to DUI manslaughter for a March 14 incident when he struck and killed pedestrian Mario Reyes in Miami Beach. Stallworth also served 24 days in jail and reached a financial settlement with the Reyes family.

The Browns are expected to release Stallworth, although perhaps not immediately after he's reinstated.

Goodell said he met with Stallworth in Miami when he was in town for the Dolphins final regular-season game against Pittsburgh Jan. 3.

''Donte' and I spent about 45 minutes to an hour together,'' Goodell said. ''I wanted to see how he was doing, what he had been focused on during his time away from the game and I think he’s in a better place than he was. I think he recognizes what he did and the horrific nature and the unfortunate outcome and I think he’s prepared himself to get back in and play.''

Stallworth signed a seven-year, $35 million contract with the Browns before the 2008 season. But he spent much of that year injured and caught just 17 passes for 170 yards and a touchdown.


Prev Next

Browns news, features and notes