With guys like Andre Drummond, Thomas Robinson, Fab Melo and Meyers Leonard yet to meet with reporters, here's a quick update from Chicago:
* Baylor's Perry Jones said he met Wednesday with the Cavs' contingent, but doesn't have a workout scheduled with them yet. Jones admitted he is spending this week dispelling the notion he doesn't have a high motor and isn't passionate about the game.
* Damian Lillard, the explosive scoring guard from Weber State, said the Cavs was one of a handful of teams to watch him work out at his school after the season. Cavs GM Chris Grant attended Lillard's game at Portland State back in January, while the Cavs were in town to play the Trail Blazers, and came away impressed. Lillard is a point guard who says he had to take on the role of scorer because that's what his team needed. But he feels he can be a distributor in the NBA, too. Lillard killed it during his workout today. Great day shooting the ball.
* Kentucky shooting guard Doron Lamb said he has a workout scheduled with the Cavs. He is a candidate with their second pick in the first round (No. 24 overall) or perhaps in the second round. Lamb has a sweet shooting stroke, but was overshadowed by all of the talent on the Wildcats' roster.
* Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal is meeting with the Cavs today. He keeps hearing the team likes him, but today will mark his first real contact with them. "I'd love to play with Kyrie Irving," Beal said. He is promoting himself as a combo guard, which is a bit surprising. He is viewed strictly as a shooting guard in most NBA circles. He measured in at 6-4, which was a big concern coming in. At least a few people around the league wondered if he'd measure in lower than his listed 6-3, which certainly would hurt his stock. Beal is on the Cavs' short list, but he may not make it to them. The Wizards seem to be high on him and are drafting one spot ahead of the Cavs.
* Kentucky's Michael Kidd-Gilchrist was walking into the interview room while Bradley Beal was leaving. Gilchrist easily stands a full head or two higher than Beal.
* Kidd-Gilchrist didn't elaborate much on the month he spent in Cleveland preparing for the combine and his rookie season. He just said it was set up by Rich Paul, who is representing him. Paul works for Creative Arts Agency.
* There seems at least a chance Kidd-Gilchrist could fall to the Cavs at No. 4, although more than one person said today he won't fall beyond the Wizards at No. 3. Gilchrist won't turn 19 until September.
* While all of the other players are appearing for interviews in workout clothes, Harrison Barnes arrived wearing black dress pants, a striped dress shirt and a Carolina blue sweater. "This is your job now," Barnes said. "You always want to try to look professional and nice. Personally, I think how you dress says a lot about how you carry yourself." Barnes is extremely smooth and polished, much like Kyrie Irving.
* That's not surprise. Barnes and Irving met during a basketball camp before college and immediately hit it off. They became fast friends and each calls the other one of his closest friends. I asked Barnes how a Duke and Carolina guy could be so close. "He only played 10 games. He jokes with me it took me 60 games to get drafted." Barnes said Irving influenced his decision to sign with agent Jeff Wechsler, who also reps Irving. Now Barnes is spending this summer at Wechsler's home in Miami, much like Irving did last year.
* Finally, Kansas point guard Tyshawn Taylor worked out at Cleveland Clinic Courts two weeks ago. He said it wasn't one of his best days, but says his defensive mindset would fit in nicely on the Cavs. He seems himself as a combo guard who could either back up Irving or play alongside him, but the Cavs likely view him as a backup point guard. Byron Scott likes to carry three point guards and the Cavs have only Donald Sloan right now. Daniel Gibson can play the point in a pinch, but he's better suited as an off-guard and he's coming off foot surgery that ended his season prematurely.
- 2013 (149)
- 2012 (345)
- 2011 (275)
- 2010 (471)
- 2009 (188)
- 2008 (125)
- 2007 (164)
- 2006 (83)
- 2005 (24)