Cavs probables (Stats from last season)
|PG Kyrie Irving||6-3, 191||18.5||3.7||5.4|
|SG Dion Waiters (Syr)||6-4, 221||12.6||2.3||2.5|
|SF Alonzo Gee||6-6, 219||10.6||5.1||1.8|
|PF Tristan Thompson||6-9, 227||8.2||6.5||0.5|
|C Anderson Varejao||6-11, 260||10.8||11.5||1.7|
Wizards probables (Stats from last season)
|PG A.J. Price||6-2, 185||3.9||1.4||2.0|
|SG Bradley Beal (Fla)||6-5, 207||14.8||6.7||2.2|
|SF Trevor Ariza||6-8, 200||10.8||5.2||3.3|
|PF Trevor Booker||6-11, 240||8.4||6.5||0.8|
|C Emeka Okafor||6-10, 255||9.9||7.9||0.9|
Cavs: None; Wizards: John Wall (knee) out, Nene (foot) out, Kevin Seraphin (calf) out.
* Kyrie Irving has been cleared to play tonight after having four wisdom teeth removed last week. Truthfully, it was all a formality. The Cavs never really thought tonight was in jeopardy.
* People have been questioning why Dion Waiters will start tonight when C.J. Miles was more effective in the preseason. It's simple: The last week of camp was Waiters' best, at least according to Byron Scott. Reporters aren't allowed to watch practice, so no one outside the organization has seen it, but Scott insists Waiters dominated a scrimmage last Friday and is finally starting to feel comfortable.
* Also, the Cavs want Waiters playing alongside Kyrie Irving. They believe having two playmakers on the floor together can really cause matchup problems for opponents. Miles was a nice signing because he's young (25) yet he's already played seven years in the league. But Waiters is the future.
* Scott said he'll go with a 10-man rotation to start the season. Donald Sloan, C.J. Miles, Daniel Gibson and Tyler Zeller are assured minutes off the bench. The 10th man in that rotation is likely Samardo Samuels. That leaves Jon Leuer, Luke Harangody, Omri Casspi, Jeremy Pargo and Luke Walton out of the rotation for now.
* Tonight's game provides an immediate look at the two two shooting guards taken in last year's draft. The Wizards selected Beal two spots ahead of when the Cavs chose Waiters. Beal had a great camp and outplayed Waiters in the teams' preseason matchup a couple of weeks ago.
* The Wizards will be without their two best players tonight in John Wall and Nene and they're missing a third key contributor in Kevin Seraphin, who strained his calf when the Wizards were here in the preseason a couple of weeks ago. Beginning with Friday's home game against the Bulls, the Cavaliers have an absolutely brutal start to the season. A victory tonight, against a short-handed team that's not very good, could go a long ways with a young Cavs team trying to build some confidence.
- 2013 (149)
- 2012 (345)
- 2011 (275)
- 2010 (471)
- 2009 (188)
- 2008 (125)
- 2007 (164)
- 2006 (83)
- 2005 (24)