The membership model for Ohio.com goes in place Tuesday. Here are FAQs about how this works for subscribers to the Akron Beacon Journal and for those who are not subscribers.
Why are you charging for online content?
The Beacon Journal is asking its digital audience to share the cost of producing a quality local news report that is unique to Akron and Summit County. Newspaper readers already pay through subscriptions.
Why should I subscribe?
The Beacon Journal has the largest newsroom in Summit County and produces quality local journalism that cannot be found anywhere else.
What is changing?
Ohio.com will use a metered subscription model. It works like this:
• Anyone may view up to seven stories per month for free on Ohio.com.
• Those who want to view more than seven stories per month must have a paid subscription.
• Print subscribers to the Beacon Journal will have total access to the newspaper, Ohio.com and an online replica edition as part of their print subscription.
• In addition, the Beacon Journal is offering digital-only subscriptions.
What do the subscriptions cost?
• $19.50 per month for seven-day Beacon Journal home delivery and complete online access, including the replica edition of the paper.
• $9.99 per month for Saturday and Sunday Beacon Journal home delivery and complete online access, including the replica edition of the paper.
• There is a digital-only subscription for Ohio.com that includes the replica edition of the paper. It is 99 cents for the first month, $11 per month thereafter.
Can I sign on to more than one device to read news online?
Each account can accommodate multiple users on multiple devices or the same user on multiple devices. There will be only one user/password per account.
Only stories count toward the meter limit of seven. So, what parts of Ohio.com remain unlimited?
• Viewing headlines on any page on the site.
• Blog posts.
• Photo galleries.
• Our stand-alone video page.
• Jobs, Homes, Autos and Marketplace items.
Once I have an account how do I access the online digital replica of the newspaper?
The sign-in located in the upper right corner of the home page of Ohio.com. Click on Replica Edition and follow the instructions from there.
You will be able to access the replica on a desktop or laptop computer, or by downloading the Akron Beacon Journal app from the iTunes or Google Play store on your smartphone or tablet.
Subscribers also are offered discounts for classified advertising and savings on gift subscriptions.
What if I am already a newspaper subscriber?
For those who want complete digital access and have not already created an online account. Here is how you do that.
• Go to Ohio.com and click on subscriber services on the upper right of the home page.
• Select “Don’t have your account number?”
• Fill out your ZIP code, house number, last name and email address.
• You will receive a validation email with your account number.
• Go back to subscriber services.
• Fill in account number and continue the registration.
How do I set up a new subscription?
• Go to Ohio.com and click on subscriber services.
• Select “Start Subscription” under Subscription Options
• Enter ZIP code.
• Choose your service and complete subscription information.
• You will receive a validation email.
How do I log in?
Click on any story and the countdown box indicating how many stories you have remaining this month will pop up. Click on the words (log in) and then enter your username and password.
Who do I contact with questions?
Customer Service at 330-996-3600 or firstname.lastname@example.org.