From the Marcellus Drilling News:
A recent shale gas conference held in Cambridge, Ohio on Nov. 10 turned up some surprising and interesting facts. One of those facts: Almost 100 percent of the land in Carroll County has been leased for possible Utica shale drilling, or is being held by production.
Here’s a few more interesting items from the conference, shared by a team from Ohio State University Extension (including where drilling is producing good results, and where it’s not):
…the Utica shale has more potential than the Marcellus shale [in Ohio] and is more extensive than the Marcellus shale in Ohio.
[Here’s a look at] detailed production at some producing wells in Ohio.
- Buell well in Harrison County (Chesapeake Energy) has had peak rate of 9.5 mmcf (million cubic feet) gas/per day. It has also been noted to produce 1,425 bbl/s (barrels) per day of natural gas liquids or 3,010 BOE (barrels of oil equivalent) per day.
- Anadarko’s initial reports in Noble and Guernsey counties are “promising.” One well has produced 9,500 barrels of oil in 20 days.
- Gulfport Energy reported that the Shugert well in Belmont County is producing 20 mmcf gas per day or 4,914 BOE per day.
- The Frank unit well in Stark County owned by Enervest is reportedly producing 515 barrels of oil per day as of August 2012.
- Chesapeake has reported to continuously find strong production in Harrison, Columbiana and Carroll counties.
- Test wells in Ashland and Medina county are not giving high production numbers…and some companies are reportedly considering pulling those exploratory wells.*
*Salem (OH) Farm and Dairy (Nov 12, 2012) – Ohio Shale conference: Residents take time to learn how shale boom will impact them
Chesapeake Energy Corp,the Oklahoma-based firm is the No. 1 driller in Ohio.
Rig Count Interactive Map by Baker Hughes, an energy services company.
Shale Sheet Fracking, a Youngstown Vindicator blog.
The Ohio Environmental Council, a statewide eco-group based in Columbus.
Earthjustice, a national eco-group.
People's Oil and Gas Collaborative-Ohio, a grass-roots group in Northeast Ohio.
Concerned Citizens of Medina County, a grass-roots group.
No Frack Ohio, a Columbus-based grass-roots group.
Fracking: Gas Drilling's Environmental Threat by ProPublica, an online journalism site.
Pipeline, blog from Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Marcellus shale drilling.
Allegheny Front, environmental public radio for Western Pennsylvania.