The official word: On Tuesday, August 6 at 9 PM E/P, Investigation Discovery is featuring the story of convicted mass murderer and Ohio cult leader Jeff Lundgren on a new episode of its hit series DEADLY DEVOTION.
Cheryl and Dennis Avery think they’ve found spiritual salvation in the teachings of Mormon preacher Jeff Lundgren. But when the Averys give up everything to join Lundgren’s religious commune in Ohio, this preacher leads his followers on a dark path of violence and destruction.
This episode includes interviews with:
· Albert Stuart, Avery family neighbor
· Marlene Jennings, Avery family friend
· Rev. Dr. Dale Luffman, former president, Kirkland RDLS
· Sgt. Ron Andolsek, Kirkland police department
· Steve Latounette, former prosecutor, Lake County, Ohio
· Pete Earley, author, “Prophet of Death”
(end official word)
In 1989, five Averys -- husband, wife and three daughters -- were killed. Their bodies were found buried on a Kirtland farm. Testimony in one of the subsequent trials had cult leader Lundgren insisting people had to be killed based on his interpretation of scripture. Lundgren was later convicted and sentenced to death; he was executed in 2006.