You live in Ohio. You root for the Browns, Of course you're drinking. An Ohio Department of Commerce release, below, claims spending went up more than actual consumption, but that just means (a) prices went up, (b) people thought they would feel better by downing pricey stuff and (c) the continued woes of the Browns meant people just kept drinking at the same pace as last year. (It didn't drop, did it?)
Anyway, the official word:
The Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Liquor Control (Division), announced that dollar sales of spirituous liquor reached a record level in 2013, totaling $898 million. This was an increase of 5.8 %, exceeding last year’s total by $49 million.
“Ohioans continue to trade up buying more of the premium products as consumer tastes become more sophisticated,” said Bruce Stevenson, Superintendent of the Division. “Quality customer service and better inventory management are the main ingredients that resulted in record dollar sales without encouraging increased consumption.”
Retail dollar sales were strong in 2013 totaling $635 million, an increase of 7.35%. Wholesale dollar sales (liquor purchased by retail permit holders such as restaurants, bars and clubs) also showed strong growth totaling $264 million, an increase of 2.5%.
Dollar sales grew at a higher rate than consumption in 2013. The Division sold a total of 12 million gallons of spirituous liquor through its 466 Contract Liquor Agencies, an increase of only 3% over the previous year.
The following were the top 10 selling brands of spirituous liquor in Ohio for 2013 (by gallons sold):
1. Jack Daniels [sic - it's Daniel's] Tennessee Whiskey – 351,125 gallons
2. Kamchatka Vodka – 294,168 gallons
3. Crown Royal Canadian Whiskey – 286,451 gallons
4. Captain Morgan Spiced Rum – 283,000 gallons
5. Absolut Vodka – 277,729 gallons
6. Bacardi Superior Light Rum – 276,365 gallons
7. Smirnoff Vodka – 266,801 gallons
8. Jagermeister – 247,078 gallons
9. Black Velvet Canadian Whiskey – 230,164 gallons
10. Korski Vodka – 222,357 gallons
(Spirituous liquor is intoxicating liquor containing more than 21% alcohol by volume.