Kent State defeated Ohio Northern last night in an exhibition game at the M.A.C. Center 75-66. Tyree Evans led the way with 24 points, including 19 in the first half. Justin Greene had 16 points and 7 rebounds while freshman Randal Holt had 12 points, seven assists and just one turnover.
- Chris Singletary and Rod Sherman did not play as both recover from their injuries. Singletary is out with a sore ankle and Sherman is recovering from a dislocated elbow. Both are expected back for the season opening weekend.
- It is obvious that rebounding and defensive toughness still have the potential to be an issue with this team. The much smaller Ohio Northern team out rebound the Flashes 39-37.
- Kent State still has a long way to go on defense, as pointed out by head coach Geno Ford. Kent State struggled with putting ONU away.
- Ohio Northern is coached by John Rhodes, who is in his first year. MAC fans may remember him as a long time assistant and player at Ohio University. He inherits a program that has had 19 consecutive winning seasons.
- Tyree Evans looked impressive shooting the basketball on Monday. And yes, the argyle socks that Evans debuted last year were worn by him last night.
- Freshman Randal Holt, from Cleveland Glenville High, looked very promising. Starting at point guard, Holt displayed quickness and vision. It is clear that Holt is better in the open court at this point, and he attacks the basket with some aggression when given the opportunity. "He’s somebody who is going to need to make a quick adjustment to life at the Division I level," Ford said. "It’s a far cry from playing the point in high school. He’s doing well and has been pretty effective and it’s going to be a good chance for him in the pre-season to get some major minutes, maybe even more than he would have gotten."
- Former KSU star Haminn Quaintance sat behind the Flashes' bench on Monday night.
- In an effort to help raise proceed for the Corey Cline Memorial Fund, the Kent State men’s basketball team will play an exhibition game at the College of Wooster this Saturday, Nov. 7. All proceeds from the game will to benefit the Fund, which among other things will generate a scholarship in Corey’s name for the College of Wooster Nursery School. “The game is a way for us to pay tribute to Corey, the Cline family and the extended Wooster community,” said Head Coach Geno Ford. “We are honored to be part of the game and look forward to having a positive impact with everyone involved.” The three-year son of long-time Wooster assistant coach Doug Cline, Corey was killed in an auto accident last February. Game time is set for a 7:00 pm start.
- Kent State came in at #29 in the first CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25 Poll. Akron checked in at #8. Kent State was the second highest ranked team in the MAC.
FOOTBALL NEWS, NOTES
KSU junior defensive end Monte Simmons was named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week for his three sack, five tackle effort on Saturday while also forcing a fumble.
Simmons, punter Matt Rinehart, and wide receiver Tyshon Goode were all recognized by the College Football Performance Awards for their performances on Saturday. All three were named honorable mention for their respective positions.
Kent State (5-4, 3-1): Kent has the most work to do, and perhaps the toughest challenge getting to seven wins. Desperate Akron (1-7, 0-4) has nothing to hang its hat on, other than knocking KSU off its title chase. With a win, Kent still has games at Temple and vs. Buffalo. It's East Division title or nothing, as Kent will likely trail either NIU or Ohio for any possible at-large bowl opportunity.
All hail Kent State. The Golden Flashes beat Western Michigan 26-14 Saturday for their third victory in a row. Temple is getting a lot of attention -- and rightly so -- for its six-game winning streak, but Kent State is the Owls' main competition in the MAC East race. The teams meet Nov. 21 at Temple, and the MAC East title very well could be on the line. Kent doesn't do much on offense, but like Temple, it wins with defense - especially against the run. Kent State is 5-4 overall and 4-1 in the MAC, and the one conference loss came by one point to Bowling Green in a game in which BG scored the winning touchdown with five seconds left. Kent State let a 12-point lead slip away in the final five minutes.
The Kent State men's cross country team won their first MAC title in school history in Athens over the weekend, while dominating the field.
The Kent State field hockey team won a share of the MAC Championship on Sunday with an 8-0 victory over Ball State. KSU will play the winner of the Missouri State/Miami game on Friday in the MAC Tournament.
The Kent State wrestling team was picked to come in 2nd place in the MAC in the pre-season rankings. Check out this preview.