All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu
Friends, Food and Fun in the Kitchen

It's Thanksgiving .... let's be careful in there

By Lisa Abraham Published: November 20, 2012

 

According to the State Fire Marshal, Thanksgiving is the leading day in Ohio for home cooking fires. So let's be careful in the kitchen on Thursday.

"The biggest problem is unattended fires. If no one is watching, things can get out of control fast, " State Fire Marshal Larry Flowers said in a news release. "Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, broiling or boiling food. And if you are simmering, roasting, baking or boiling; check the food regularly, use a timer and never leave the house while a heating source is on."

Here are some tips from the state fire marshal's office to lessen your chances of a kitchen fire on the holiday:

  • Have a safety zone: keep children and pets three feet away from the stove and oven.
  • Never hold a child or pet while cooking.
  • Avoid wearing loose clothing or dangling sleeves while cooking.
  • Keep potholders, oven mitts, towels and anything flammable away from your stovetop.
  • Clean food and grease from burners and the stove top. It can catch on fire.
  • If you must use a turkey fryer, keep it outside, away from buildings and other structures, such as garages, carports and decks and in view when it is on. The turkey should be thawed prior to frying. Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
  • Keep an ABC multi-purpose dry chemical fire extinguisher nearby. Never use water on a grease fire. Water and grease are a dangerous combination. Water can cause hot grease to splatter.
  • If you are cooking and a fire starts, turn off the heat source; put a lid on it, and Get Out!

 

Print
Add This

SUBSCRIBE VIA RSS

OHIO.COM VIDEOS

Prev Next