☰ Menu
Close to home with Mary Beth Breckenridge

Campaign warns of dangers of laundry detergent packets

By Mary Beth Breckenridge Published: March 20, 2014

Liquid laundry detergent packets are convenient. They’re also brightly colored, and to a child they can look like candy or toys.

But they can cause serious harm if they’re ingested or if the packets' contents get into eyes.

The American Cleaning Institute is trying to get the word out with this new video aimed at parents and caregivers. It’s also urging people to take its Key Pledge to keep laundry rooms safe.

The institute offers these safety recommendations:

-- Treat detergent packets as you would any other hazardous product. Keep them out of sight so children aren’t tempted by them, and store them in a place where children can’t get access to them.

-- Never let children handle the packets..

-- Be careful not to puncture the packets or pull them apart.

-- Keep the packets dry. They can quickly dissolve upon contact with water, wet hands or saliva.

-- Keep the container closed and dry, even while you’re doing laundry. When you’re done using the detergent, make sure the bag or container is tightly sealed.

-- Keep the packets in their original container, with labels intact. In an emergency, you will need the information they provide.

-- If you think a child has been exposed to a liquid laundry packet, immediately call the Poison Center at 800-222-1222.



Prev Next