Close to home with Mary Beth Breckenridge
Organize spray bottles by hanging them from a tension rod.
Whether organizing is on your list of New Year's resolutions or you're just a little OCD like me, you'll like these organizing ideas from The Family Handyman magazine.
- Clamp a binder clip to the edge of your desk to hold a USB cable in place. Just slip the head of the cable through one of the handles of the clip, and the cable won't slip off your desk.
- Make drawer dividers from adhesive-backed foam weather stripping and 1/4-inch plywood. Attach the weather stripping to the inside of a drawer -- either the front and back or the sides, depending on which way you want the dividers to be positioned. Then set strips of plywood into the drawer with the ends pressed against the weather stripping to hold them in place.
- Find extra storage space by hanging a shelf above the door or window of a closet or storage room.
- Install a short tension rod inside an under-sink cabinet, and hang spray bottles from it by hooking their triggers over the rod.
- Use a plastic crate to store anything on a spool. Just slip the spools onto a piece of metal conduit, and then slip the conduit through holes in the crate and secure the ends with washers and bolts. The space below the spools can hold tools or scraps of wire, ribbon, string or whatever else you're storing.
Close to home with Mary Beth Breckenridge Archives