1) The George Zimmerman Trial....I am convinced by the contradictory evidence in the tape of Zimmerman's call to a non-emergency services dispatcher the night of the event that Zimmerman lied to cops in his interview after the tragedy of Trayvon Martin's death. If you seek truth in this case....then read these two...pieces. Precise timelines and a map establishing the locations of Zimmerman and Martin are included.
2) This piece offers an insiders take on GOP New Jersey Governor Chris Christie during the time of his appearance at the Republican National Convention.....money quote....
.....when organizers told Christie that they were scrapping a three-minute introduction video before his speech due to time constraints, the governor insisted they reconsider. When they pushed back, according to Balz, Christie told a member of the production team "to ask the director if he had ever heard anyone say 'f***' on live television, because that's what he was about to do if the video didn't run." After another sharp exchange, Christie said he wouldn't deliver the speech if the video didn't run. Romney's convention team leader, Russ Schriefer, intervened, instructing the director to play the video.
3) GOP darling Marco Rubio has been pummeled by rabid conservatives over his role in the Gang of Eight immigration "reformers". Redstate.com has been particularly hard on young Marco. But Marco thinks he knows how to silence the criticism from his right. Offer up a Senate bill to ban abortion after 20 weeks....because nothing says "I'm radically conservative" today quite like sponsoring a national War on Women bill. Read about it here.
4) Priorities.....in the last week of Senate negotiations over the immigration bill, this happened....
The so-called border surge — an additional $38 billion in spending — was added in the final week of negotiations to attract more GOP support for the measure, which passed with 68 votes, including 14 from Republicans...
Full story here. You may or may not be surprised to learn that defense contractors will benefit the most from the disgustingly titled "border surge" splurge.
Don't particularly care for "amnesty"? What's a GOP senator to do? Make the "amnesty" bill go down smoother with a big ole' bribe to their defense industry sponsors.
5) What's up in North Carolina?
Legislation to ban Islamic law in North Carolina now also contains a number of anti-abortion measures, potentially closing all but one abortion clinic in the state.
A twofer for the excitables. Sharia law prohibition and a good old fashioned down home "pregnant and barefoot in the kitchen" beating to any uppity females thinking they are entitled to living autonomously in the Tarheel state.
But the unemployed in North Carolina shouldn't feel left out just because state Republicans are focusing all their love on women and Muslims.....not by any means....because N.Carolina Republicans saved some extra special love for those in the state who are currently on unemployment. North Carolina Republicans can now brag about being the first state in the Union to reject aid for long term unemployment. Read all about that...here.
As Charlie Pierce at Esquire.com often states......this is your democracy, cherish it.
About This Blog