Here are some thoughts on the latest in the sports world.
- Every indication is that Jim Tressel and Ohio State will be getting more penalties for Tressel's lapse in judgement over the past year. Not sure what that penalty will be, but I do know this: the cover-up is always worse than the actual mistake. A man in his position should have known better.
- I keep hearing how weak the NCAA Tournament is this year so my first thought is to pick all the top seeds to reach the Final Four. I look for a Kansas-Ohio State final.
- Congratulations to UA and Keith Dambrot. Quite the turnaround this season for the Zips.
- The MLS season begins Tuesday; there are 11 former Zips in the league now, including Steve Zakuani, who plays for Seattle, the first TV game of the season on ESPN2.
- I thought the NFL and the players might reach an agreement last Friday. But now that we have reached this point with a lockout and a lawsuit, look for it to get real ugly. The season is in jeopardy.
- I already have heard enough whining from Virginia Tech and Colorado. Teams sitting on the bubble should know that it could burst. Win more games and your worries go away.
- The Indians are quietly going about their business in Arizona. But there is little buzz in the public, look for the attendance to reflect that.
- The Cavs have a lot riding on decisions that will be made this offseason. From selecting two lottery players, to the $14.3 million trade exception to the league's labor deal that is up this summer. The future is now for GM Chris Grant and owner Dan Gilbert.