It’s a big weekend for craft beer drinkers in Ohio. Not only are there are two major, long-running beer festivals taking place in Toledo and Cleveland, but there are special events planned in Akron, Cincinnati and Athens, as well.
Here’s a quick rundown with links for more details:
• The eighth annual Glass City Beer Festival is 7 to 11 p.m. Friday at the Lucas County Recreation Center in Maumee. VIP entry begins at 6 p.m.
The event features 45 breweries and nearly 225 beers. All proceeds benefit the Arc of Lucas County and the Northwest Ohio Hemophilia Foundation.
For more details, including a rundown of all the breweries and beers, click here.
• The eighth annual Winter Warmer Fest is 2 to 6 p.m. Saturday at Windows on the River in Cleveland. The event, a fundraiser for the Ohio Craft Brewers Association, features winter and limited edition beers from more than 30 Ohio breweries.
Tickets are $45. The event is expected to sell out so don’t expect to buy one at the door.
For more details, including a rundown of all the participating breweries and the beers, click here.
• The Acme Fresh Market in Bath Township — suburban Akron — will celebrate the grand opening of its expanded beer/wine/liquor department and new growler station with an Ohio beer tasting from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday.
The event will feature: Jackie O’s Oil of Aphrodite, Fat Head’s Hippy Sippy, Columbus Bodhi, Great Lakes Chillwave, The Brew Kettle Kitka Stout and Thirsty Dog Citra Dog aged in rum barrels with mandarin oranges.
There is no cost to attend. People will just pay for the beer they drink.
• Jackie O’s Pub & Brewery in Athens will hold its latest bottle release on Saturday. And the brewpub has assembled an eye-popping selection of 44 draft beers for the event.
The brewpub will offer 22-ounce bottles of Evelyn ($20), Dynamo Hum ($20), Cellar Cuvee 8 ($18) and Immizence ($14).
As with past bottle releases, Jackie O’s will open at 5 p.m. Friday and will hand out dates from a calendar so people don’t have to stand in line all night waiting for the bottle sale, which begins Saturday morning.
For more details, click here.
• Christian Moerlein Brewing Co. in Cincinnati will host a special celebratory toast at midnight Saturday to celebrate 10 years under the current ownership and the 161st anniversary of the founding of the brewery.
The taproom opens at 4 p.m. Friday. For more details, click here.