Columbus Brewing Co. has won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and World Beer Cup. But its most popular beer isn’t among those award winners.
Bodhi, a double India pale ale that's available only on draft, rules. It is, after all, an IPA world.
Bodhi fans are in for a special treat — actually 12 special treats. Studio 35 Cinema & Drafthouse in Columbus will host a “Beer Tasting & Movie: Tommy Boy” starting at 3 p.m. Sunday. (May 11)
The beer tasting will feature a dozen different versions of Bodhi, which clocks in at 8 percent alcohol by volume. Here's the rundown:
• Habanero Bodhi: infused with fresh habanero peppers and dry hopped with Amarillo flowers.
• Coconut Bodhi: features hand-toasted, organic coconut flakes.
• Mango Bodhi: blended with fresh mango and 100 percent mango nectar.
• Pineapple Bodhi: blended with fresh pineapple and 100 percent pineapple juice.
• Oaked Bodhi: aged on cubes of French oak.
• Thai Bodhi: infused with fresh Thai basil and ginger.
• Tangelo Bodhi: blended with the fruit and zest of fresh tangelo.
• Double Dry Hop Bodhi: features an additional dry hop of Citra and Amarillo flowers.
• Breakfast Bodhi: infused with Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee beans roasted locally by Cafe Brioso.
• Mojito Bodhi: infused with fresh mint and lime zest.
• Lemon Face/Lion Face Bodhi: infused with fresh lemongrass, ginger, and an additional dry hop of Sorachi Ace. (Note: The beer's name has been updated. The brewery mistakenly called it Lemon Face/Tiger Face in an email to me.)
• Kaffir Bodhi: features fresh Kaffir lime leaves.
“Bodhi is a great canvas to experiment with,” brewery representative Tony Corder said.
Asked to name a favorite, he paused. Then he mentioned the Mojito Bodhi. Then, as if the tastes were coming back to him, he rattled off the Lemon Face/Tiger Face Bodhi, Breakfast Bodhi and Tangelo Bodhi.
“They are all pretty sensational,” Corder said.
Tickets to the event are $25. For more details about the event, click here.