West Point Market and Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. today (Oct. 14) released the top 10 finalists in the second annual Bottle My Brew Ohio Homebrew Challenge. The winning order will be announced Nov. 1 during a special beer tasting at West Point in Akron.
One homebrewer finished with two beers in the top 10. The finalists, in alphabetical order, are:
• Jeff Berghoff of Stow, Mosaic Saison.
• Tom Bullock of Lakewood, Irish Stout.
• Craig Chopak of Medina, Bluesberry Honey Creme Ale.
• Mike Crea of Brecksville, Thrilla Amarilla.
• Peter Ferraro of Cuyahoga Falls, Snooze Stout.
• Joseph Karpinski of Kent, Imperial Commander and Maple Dubbel.
• Keith Kneisley of Akron, Square Bitter.
• Michael Martini of Lakewood, Session Pale Ale.
• Larry Reuter of Akron, Beta IPA.
More than 90 beers were submitted in the competition, which involved picking the best brews without a concern for style.
The competition, open to all homebrewers in Ohio, includes cash and other prizes, and the winning beer will be brewed by Thirsty Dog and released commercially at West Point and Winking Lizard Tavern locations throughout Northeast Ohio.
Last year’s winners were Nick Herstich and Justin Herstich, who made an American barleywine. They won $1,000 and other prizes, and Thirsty Dog has released their beer this year under the name Bernese Barleywine Ale. That beer is now available in 12 states.
The West Point beer tasting is from 7 to 9 p.m. Nov. 1. It will feature Thirsty Dog, Hoppin' Frog, Great Lakes, Columbus, Fat Head's, The Brew Kettle, Cellar Rats, Buckeye and other breweries. Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 at the door. Reservations can be made by clicking here or calling 330-864-2151 ext. 129.