All CATEGORIES
☰ Menu
Cleveland Indians

Acta says decision has not yet been made on surgery for RHP Carlos Carrasco

By sstorm Published: September 2, 2011

KANSAS CITY: Indians starting pitcher Carlos Carrasco has been seeking medical opinions about his ailing right arm, but Indians manager Manny Acta said a decision to undergo surgery hasn’t been made yet.

This, despite a report surfacing Friday from Venezuelan newspaper Líder en Deportes, that quoted Indians minor leaguer Hector Rondon. In the article, Rondon said fellow right-hander Carrasco was likely headed for the same “Tommy John” elbow ligament replacement surgery that he had last year and is currently recovering from.

“As far as I know, we’re still gathering information and different opinions,” Acta said. “I know that a few days ago (Carrasco) went to see doctor (David) Altchek in New York (but) we haven’t made the decision just yet.”

Carrasco, 24, was placed on the disabled list Aug.8 (retroactive to Aug. 4)  with right elbow inflammation.

“At the end of the day, surgery is probably going to be the last resort,” Acta said. “But he’s had a few opinions already.”

Regardless of whether surgery is needed, Acta isn’t expecting to see Carrasco back with the Indians this season.

“It’s going to be tough for us to start him on a throwing program and use him over here,” Acta said. “Today’s Sept. 2, and he hasn’t started throwing yet.”

 

Print
Add This

Prev Next

OHIO.COM VIDEOS