☰ Menu

Indians news, features and notes






Cleveland Indians

Sunday's Indians/Mariners game Postponed

By sstorm Published: May 15, 2011

Well, Sunday's game almost started.

With rain all morning in the Cleveland area, the originally scheduled 1:05 p.m. game at  Progressive Field was initially delayed by 50 minutes as radar showed a break in the wet stuff on its way.

So when the raindrops finally stopped, players from both teams began to warm up. Some lucky youngsters were introduced and took their spots in the field. Indians starting pitcher Josh Tomlin warmed up. The Tribe took the field to join the kids and Tomlin made some warm-up pitches at the mound.

During all the preparations, the rain started again as another front suddenly began to move in, accompanied by strong winds.

That's why just as the game was about to start just before 2 p.m., umpire crew chief John Hirschbeck called the managers to home plate for a discussion while the brave and rain-coat clad fans watched and...waited.

Tribe manager Manny Acta appeared to be rather animated in making his point about wanting to play, as the previous day's game had already been washed out. But Hirshbeck looked around at the conditions and called for the tarp.

As the Indians outfielders ran towards the dugout from the soggy field, jumping over puddles and kicking up spray, you could see whay the umpires wanted to play it safe.

And so the rain delay continued.

While a majority of both team's players made their way back into their respective dugouts, the Indians hardy relievers remained in their covered bullpen area for a half hour. Kicked back in chairs with their hands in their jacket pockets, they appeared to be holding out hope that Sunday's game day wouldn't end the same way Saturday's did - postponed to be played at a later date.

But at 2:30, they too, gave up and went back inside to wait to see if the game would ever be played. It wasn't. At 3:10 p.m., the game was officially postponed with it being get-a-way day for both teams.

Prev Next