The Indians extended six non-roster invitations to major league camp Friday, with all of the invitations coming from within the club’s minor league system.
The players are:
RHP AUSTIN ADAMS
RHP CHEN-CHANG LEE
- 5th-round selection by the Indians in the 2009 first-year player draft, entering his fourth season within the Indians organization.
- In 2011 with Akron, Adams went 11-10 in 26 starts, posting a 3.77 ERA (136.0IP, 147H, 57ER, 131SO). He was tied for second in the Eastern League in wins with 11 and was an Eastern League All-Star. No. 8 prospect in the organization entering 2012 according to Baseball America
RHP TYLER STURDEVANT
- International signee out of Peng-Hu County, Taiwan, in Sept. 2008. He split time between Akron and Columbus in 2011, going combined 6-1 with 1 save in 44 relief appearances with a 2.40 ERA (71.1IP, 53H, 19ER, 99SO).
- He averaged 12.5 strikeouts per 9 innings in 2011 and limited right-handed batters to a .197 avg. (28-for-142) with just four extra-base hits.
- No. 4 prospect in the organization entering 2012 according to Baseball America
C CHUN CHEN
- Selected in the 27th round of the 2009 draft out of New Mexico State University…Spent time between Columbus, Akron and Kinston in the 2011 season and went 7-3 in 42 appearances with a 2.65ERA (74.2IP, 67H, 22ER, 82SO).
- Posted 3.00ERA in the Arizona Fall League after the season (12.0IP, 11H, 4ER, 13K, .239AVG) as 7 of last 8 outings were scoreless (last 4G, 4.2IP, 2H, 0R, 7K)
OF CHAD HUFFMAN
- Originally from Hulian County, Taiwan, was signed as a non-drafted free agent on September 14th, 2007.
- Entering his sixth season in the organization. He spent 2011 at Double-A Akron, batting .262 with 16 home runs and 70 RBI.
- Chen was tied for fourth among Indians minor leaguers in RBI and tied for sixth in home runs.
RHP HECTOR AMBRIZ
- Was claimed off outright waivers from the New York Yankees in September of 2010. In 2011 with Columbus, Huffman batted .246 with 13 home runs and 58 RBI.
- He was tied for fourth in the International League in walks with 67 and was tied for 10th in doubles with 30.
- Selected by Cleveland in the Major League portion of the Rule V Draft in December of 2009 from Arizona.
- Missed all of the 2011 season due to recovering from Tommy John Surgery.
- In 2010 he spent the majority of the season with the Indians, going 0-2 with a 5.59 ERA (48.1IP, 68H, 30ER, 37SO).