Assistant coach Jeff Boals told me Akron is a better defensive team than what they showed the first time at Ohio.
He was right.
The Zips held Ohio to 34 percent shooting during the 79-48 win. The controversial Bubba Walther only scored one on a non-shooting foul.
Each time Walther touched the ball, he heard boos from all over the building. Although attendance was poor (obviously because of the weather), the atmosphere was decent. It probably helped Ohio commit 18 turnovers, opposed to just nine assists.
Cedrick Middleton and Dru Joyce dropped three 3-pointers each. Jeremiah Wood chipped in 12 points as well. Ohio's Leon Williams was effective in the post, scoring 21.
- Ohio center Kenneth Van Kempen could be the dopiest player since DeSagana Diop, circa 2002.
- Jimmy Conyers has really taken a step back in his progress. I am ashamed to admit I jumped the gun on this kid. He may be special a year from now, but he is just not fit to be in the rotation right now.
- A John Rybak sighting in the first half ... WTF? There's another player who does not seem prepared for Division I basketball.
- Middleton seems like he can slash at will. I want to see a lot more of that.
- A buddy told me Michael Reghi gave high praise to the AK-Rowdies on the air tonight. He said they are the best student section in the MAC, and perhaps the nation. I would say the OZone is probably better, simply because it's larger. The Rowdies need a larger seating section.
- I'll have more on the game tomorrow.
The University of Akron main campus will not have classes Wednesday.
Your hard-working Buchtelite employees still will pump out a newspaper, of course.
- 2013 (114)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)