I am supremely impress at the attendance of tonight's celebration.
My estimate is about 700 showed up. Here are some quick highlights...
- Mack Rhoades: "This means the world to our team, our coaches and our staff. Thank you (to the fans) ... Nobody agreed with the way the season ended. What I'll remember is how everyone dealt with it."
- Luis Proenza read a New York Times article that said the NIT selection committee was heartless.
- Keith Dambrot: "Sometimes, through setbacks, you find out a lot about your community ... I want to be here the rest of my career. You guys remember that when we only win 15 games one year ... We're going to outgrow the JAR because I think that's something we need to do."
- Dru Joyce: "When I was young, I used to come to the games, and they'd put me to sleep." He also talked about how he coaxed Romeo Travis and Jeremiah Wood to play at UA.
- Travis: "I would never imagine the gym would be full of people .. Me and Dru leaving is not the end of anything. This is the beginning."
- Nick Dials was the only Zips player not to show. He was in class.