University of Akron Zips blog
Akron will play Bowling Green at noon on Sunday at Rhodes Arena.
Here is an update on the Falcons' season...
1) Here is what I wrote about Bowling Green in mid-January, before the teams' first meeting.
2) Akron beat Bowling Green on Jan. 17, 62-52. That first game was the turning point of Akron's season for a few reasons. First, the defense played with the most confidence it had all season. Bowling Green was helpless on offense, and the Zips thrived off it like sharks. Second, it was Brett McClanahan's debut. As I have written several times, I think that move was more valuable as a message to the team than as adding a 3-point shooter. Third, it told Akron's players that they can win in any gym in the MAC. Anderson Arena is a tough place to win, but the Zips did it.
3) Since then, Bowling Green has played good basketball, but had a few hiccups. The Falcons plowed through the MAC West, then lost their final crossover game to Eastern Michigan. Then they lost the Bracketbuster at home to Canisius. The Falcons' most valuable asset is a tiebreaker over Buffalo, earned by sweeping the Bulls this season.
4) Forward Chris Knight has missed the last two games with a sprained knee. He is day-to-day. Aside from possibly missing Knight, the Falcons are the same team that Akron beat on Jan. 17.
5) Looking at the teams' recent performances against common opponents at common venues, Akron is about 15 points ahead on half the games. On the other half, Bowling Green has a slight advantage. Given that, and the Jan. 17 result, I predict a 12-point win for Akron.
University of Akron Zips blog Archives
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)