Last Saturday at Johnny Malloy's, a section of the restaurant started a hilarious scream/chant to celebrate a good Zips play.
It goes like this: "Byaaaawwwww!" (With a Yosemite Sam voice).
You may know the scream from failed Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean. "We're going to California and Texas and New York and then to Washington D.C. to take back the White House. Byaaaawww!"
What's the point of this post? There is none.
Go Zips! Byaaaaawwww!
- Zips blogger Mike Hixenbaugh addressed the campus buses with "On the Hunt." Some loser from Michigan took a shot at him. Check out his response and his preview of the Akron-Central Michigan game.
- I just watched Toledo's 37-31 overtime victory over Kansas. Sure, the Rockets just beat a BCS team, but they didn't really show me much. The Jayhawks dominated most of the stats, including a 5-0 advantage in turnovers. I'm still always glad to see a MAC team pull of a big out-of-conference win.
Last week, I mentioned the Zips were recruiting Aaron Johnson, a guard/forward from Chicago.
Well, he committed to Alabama-Birmingham this week. Johnson also had scholarship offers from Akron, Fairfield and Wisconsin-Green Bay, Scout.com reports.
- Point guard Joe Jakubowski also chose another school over a Zips scholarship offer, committing to Rice on Friday.
- According to Rivals.com, coach Keith Dambrot has offers pending on three other players: point guards Ronnie Steward and Josh Miller and power forward Hakim McCullar.
- With stud forward Steve Swiech and guard/forward Brett McKnight already committed, the 2007 recruiting class is already the best in the Dambrot era.
This is getting kind of ridiculous.
When is Catherine Byrne's team going to lose? Heck, when will goalkeeper Krystin Wilson allow a goal?
Akron remained undefeated and unscored-upon (is that a word?) Friday with a 1-0 win over Cleveland State.
Jessica Fix scored Akron's goal in the 34th minute. The Buchtelite's Josh Volchko will feature Fix in next week's paper.
The 6-0 Zips will play a home match against St. Bonaventure on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
I'm considering writing my column about this team this week. Seriously, they're good.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)