As I sit through another so-so NBA All-Star Game, I thought I'd list the players to whom Akron has offered a scholarship so far.
After all, it's never too early to discuss recruiting...
- WR, Cordale Scott, 6-foot-3 from Cleveland Glendale. Scott is one of Rivals.com's players to watch from Cleveland. With a solid senior year, he should play his way into several Big Ten offers. He already has them from Illinois, Wisconsin, Bowling Green and Marshall.
- TE, Mike Cruz, 6-4 from Johnstown, Pa. Yes, he's the brother of Jose Cruz, a current Zips tight end. Mike's high school coach says the younger brother might end up as the most recruited player ever at Bishop McCort HS. Cruz has great hands and athleticism. He might even outgrow the tight end position and become a defensive end in college. Cruz already has offers from Virginia, Temple, Pittsburgh and Clemson.
- OT, Marc Stevens, 6-6, 295 pounds from Lexington, Ohio. Rivals says he will wind up being one of Ohio's top o-line recruits next year. He has great feet and a nasty attitude. A lot of big-name schools are talking to him, including Notre Dame, Michigan and Florida State. As soon as Ohio State offers a scholarship, however, Stevens probably will commit there.
- DE, Taylor Hill, 6-2 from Youngstown. Akron is his only offer.
- LB, Devoe Torrence, 6-2 from Canton. I don't know why I'm bother to list Torrence. He's choosing between offers from Michigan and Ohio State. Ole Miss and Akron also offered.
- CB, Johnny Adams, 6-0 from Akron Buchtel. He is sure to get a lot of big offers. Akron is the only one for now. Adams left Notre Dame's campus two weeks ago with a good impression but not an offer from the Fighting Irish. He plans to visit Ohio State, Michigan, Pittsburgh and Florida State as well. Scout.com says Adams is also a dangerous kick returner.
- S, Will Fleming, 6-3 from Hoban. The son of Zips defensive coordinator Jim Fleming, Will likes Akron, the only school to offer a scholarship so far. Boston College, Penn State, Pittsburgh and Ohio State are the other schools of interest. It could get really interesting if the Buckeyes offer a scholarship to the athletic defender.