NC State lists its star corner A.J. Davis as doubtful for today's game against Akron.
Also on the injury report: linebacker Ernest Jones will play, wide receiver Lamart Barrett is probable and center Luke Lathan is out.
Read these media links from gameday. After that, I'll give you my prediction.
- The ABJ's David Lee Morgan says Akron's receivers will be key if the Zips pull off an upset.
- The News Observer's Chip Alexander wrote a really, really good in-depth story about the ACC defenses and how Luke Getsy will prepare for one. It also addresses Akron's 3-3-5 and all the "crazy stuff" it does, according to NC State quarterback Marcus Stone.
- Most sportsbooks have moved the Akron-NC State line to 9 or 8.5 points. A trend is developing: Sportsbooks give Akron no chance against a big school. They adjust the line after everyone puts money on the Zips with the bloated spread.
Here are my range of predictions...
- Best-case scenario: Akron 38, NC State 24
- Worst-case scenario: NC State 28, Akron 7
- My prediction: Akron 24, NC State 21
NC State's defense doesn't worry me as much as its running game, although Penn State was a better team in both aspects. Basically, these are two evenly matched teams. It will depend on which team makes its field goals and protects the ball.
The Zips need a great game out of Andy Alleman, Tim Crouch and the line. They need solid games from Getsy, Dennis Kennedy and the defensive line. And they need special teams to have an adequate day.
If all those things happen, I'm confident that editors at the Akron Beacon Journal will have quite a conundrum: Play up an Ohio State loss or Zips upset win?
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)