Terry Pluto wrote a column about the Zips questionable status with the NCAA.
His solution: Schedule D-IAA Youngstown State. The attendance boost should help.
Here is another story from the ABJ about Kent State's status as an attendance-troubled school. But the Flashes are making progress! Coach Doug Martin boasted: "For example, we'd never had a training table for the players to eat on."
Small victories. Small victories. I suppose leaving the nation's basement is too lofty of a goal for now.
- Zips wet in ink: It appears the media train is fully geared for Saturday's Akron-Penn State game. Here are six stories about the game. Since all the reporters heard the same press conference, the stories basically mesh. There are some worth reading, though.
- Philadelphia Daily News - Akron's strengths will challenge Penn State's weaknesses.
- Akron Beacon Journal - Penn State coach Joe Paterno nearly offered Luke Getsy a scholarship.
- Reading Eagle - Paterno is especially concerned about his inexperienced offensive line.
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette - Paterno worries about Akron's 3-3-5 defense, too.
- Wilkes Barre Times-Leader - Sports columnist Jerry Kellar gives several reasons why Akron might win. This is far and away the best game preview I've read.
- Patriot-News - Columnist David Jones also wrote a solid story. An interesting tidbit: He ventures into the reason Pitt coach Walt Harris did not release Getsy from his scholarship. Basically, Harris is a red-ass.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)