Coach Caleb Porter completed his staff by adding Brett Teach as his second assistant, the university announced today.
Teach was head coach at Auburn University Montgomery, where he led his team to the NAIA semifinals. In his six seasons, the team went to the Final Four four times.
As you can see below, Teach has a mullet that looks second to none. For that reason, I'll give this hire an A+ grade.
By the way, Akron finished 18th in the nation in attendance this season, which is impressive considering the less-than-adequate seating. An average of 1,064 fans came out to games, making men's soccer the third-most attended Zips sport behind football and basketball.
Akron has never played Nevada, but the two teams will match up tonight. The winner likely will be ranked in the top 25.
- GoZips.com's preview says Akron has outrebounded three-straight opponents, which is impressive considering the Zips' lack of size.
- Tom Gaffney's ABJ preview talks about some of Nevada's weapons, outside of Nick Fazekas.
- Gaffney also spoke with Nevada coach Mark Fox, who is one of the nation's best coaches. Fox gave the usual Akron-can-beat-us quote. He also praised the Zips for being well balanced.
- Terry Pluto wrote about LeBron James' connection with Dru Joyce, Romeo Travis and Chad Mraz, and how it is still strong.
- Elton Alexander's PD preview talks about the Zips' RPI getting a big-time boost with a win.
- My Buchtelite preview talks about how the Wolfpack is an unselfish team, despite having a superstar in Fazekas.
- Oddsmakers say Nevada is between a six- and seven-point favorite.
- To me, this game comes down to Matt Futch and Rob Preston. If Preston is making shots, Fazekas will have to come out to the perimeter instead of crashing the boards. If Futch plays solid defense on Fazekas, that also could be huge.
If you don't get ESPNU and don't want to go to Panini's to watch the basketball game, you can go to the Field House for Akron's final of four home meets. The Zips Open will include Buffalo and some individual athletes. It starts at 7 p.m., so maybe you can watch both games.
I've said this before, Akron students need to go to at least one track meet at the Field House. It's some exciting stuff. Get your frat boys together and root on the Zips.
- I have several options in my next Zips female opponent. I have my pick in several sports, such as women's basketball, tennis, soccer, track and field, swimming and rifle. I'm leaning toward women's basketball.
- I'm leaving for Canada this evening for the weekend, so don't hold your breath on new posts until Sunday evening.