Matt Rodgers, a drop-back quarterback from Pittsburgh, decided today to take Akron's scholarship offer.
Rodgers enters a depth chart full of youth. That's why I raise an eyebrow that Rivals.com calls Rodgers the Zips "quarterback of the future." After watching some highlight videos of Rodgers, I certainly hesitate to call him a bigger prospect than Sean Hakes.
Rodgers certainly seems to be a highly touted player, however. Ohio, Toledo and Bowling Green offered him a scholarship. Boston College also had interest.
The highlight videos showed me three things: 1) He's an accurate passer. 2) He locks onto one receiver too often. 3) He can scramble pretty well.
No word on whether Rodgers is related to rock/blues icon Paul Rodgers.
- Today was the first day of classes: In the Student Union, the athletic department played a video of the Zips' MAC Championship victory.
- This is purely anecdotal, but I saw a lot more Zips hats and Fear the Roo tee-shirts than last semester.
- Here's yet another reminder: Join the Buchtelite's College Pick'em League. College Pick'em is basically a season-long contest to see who can predict the most winners of college football games. Buchtelite sports editor Dan Kadar has promised to award the winner a prize. Seeing how he won't pay for the fantasy baseball league I'm running away with, the better award will likely be pride.
- If you don't have a Yahoo account, it takes a couple minutes to sign up. Then you click this link to join the Pick'em private league. The league ID number is 14831. The password is beatkent.
- In the words of a cheesy infomercial, "Don't delay. Sign up today." The season begins Thursday.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)