The Zips still have four verbal commitments, and that's it.
Here are updates on some of the high-profile players Akron is targeting. You should see a surge in commitments once the high school season is completely over.
- Running back Frank Edmonds of St. Edwards said he has no problem going to a MAC school. If you read between the lines, however, it seems like he's really hoping Northwestern, Indiana or Purdue offers him a scholarship. MAC schools in the running include Akron, Ball State, Bowling Green, Miami, Ohio and Toledo. At 5-foot-6, Edmonds could be the next Garrett Wolfe, and I'll be really excited if he chooses Akron.
- Offensive line coach Brian Callahan is pursuing three-star wide receiver B.J. Cunningham from Westerville. Cunningham has the highest interest in Cincinnati and Miami (Ohio). The receiver plans to wait to make his decision.
- Brian Gamble, a three-star safety from Massillon, is weighing offers from Akron, Ball State and Eastern Michigan. He also has interest in some BCS schools.
- Rocco Pentello, a three-star safety from Westerville, has offers from Air Force, Cincinnati, Akron, Ball State, Marshall and Toledo. He has "medium" interest in each. He will decide after the season is over.
- Continuing its interest in Maryland players, Akron has offered a scholarship to Kahlil Permenter, a three-star safety. Permenter also holds offers from Boston College and Temple. The No. 10 player in the state seems to be headed to BC because the Eagles were the first to show interest.