University of Akron Zips blog
As recruiting season winds down, let's take a look at players who are mulling over a scholarship offer from Akron, according to Rivals.com...
- Mike Brown, a two-star running back from Florida. The 5-foot-7 speedster says Akron is the leader, with Missouri and Northern Illinois trailing. Iowa State and Akron are his only offers. My bet is he'll sign with the Zips. This is the Mike Brown who runs a sub-4.4 in the 40, not the one who can't run an NBA offense to save his life.
- Dennis Mathis, a two-star running back from Virginia. He holds offers from Akron, Ohio, Kent State and Marshall.
- Brian Sumlar, a two-star running back from Florida. He recently decommitted from Duke because of "personal issues." Wyoming and Akron are his other offers.
- Morgan Wililams, a three-star running back from Canton McKinley. There is nothing really new to report. He's still considering scholarship offers from Indiana and Akron. Other schools of interest include Florida State, Louisville, Wisconsin and Toledo.
- Haroon Brown, a two-star fullback from Virginia (the same high school as Mathis). Akron and Miami (Ohio) have offered.
- Kevin Nichols, an unrated wide receiver from Virginia. Akron is his only offer, but Marshall also is in the running.
- Michael Rainey-Wiles, a two-star wide receiver from Pittsburgh. Akron is his only offer. I can see why. He's only 5-foot-8 and runs a 4.66 in the 40.
- Jeff Spikes, a two-star offensive tackle from Painsville, Ohio. Spikes really wants to go to Ohio State, but he'll probably decide between offers to Akron, Illinois, Bowling Green and Toledo.
- Carson Byrd, a two-star defensive end from Trotwood, Ohio. He has eight offers, mostly to D-IAA schools, but also to Akron and Kent State.
- Patrick Hampton, a two-star defensive end from Georgia. He has offers to Purdue, South Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Akron and Miami (Ohio). Purdue and South Florida are most likely destinations.
- Kyle Kozak, an unrated defensive end from Pennsylvania. Akron is his only offer, but he is interested in Pittsburgh, too.
- Jeremiah Martin, a two-star defensive end from Maryland. Because of its "family-oriented" atmosphere, Akron is the leader. Other schools to offer Martin a scholarship include Cincinnati, Boston College, Michigan State, Temple, Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami (Ohio) and Delaware.
- Lawrence Brewer, an unrated defensive end from Maryland (the same high school as the indecisive wide receiver Vincent Hill). Akron is his only offer, but Virginia (the school that stole Hill) is becoming more interested.
- Jafe Pitcock, a two-star defensive end from Piqua. The brother of Ohio State's Quinn Pitcock holds five offers from MAC schools. The winner likely will be Ball State, Miami (Ohio) or Ohio.
- Wayne Jones, a two-star defensive tackle from Pennsylvania. Despite eight scholarship offers including Cincinnati, Akron and Kent State, Jones might choose Pittsburgh and the Panthers' offer to greyshirt.
- Oreoluwa Fatinkun, a two-star cornerback from Perrsyburg, Ohio. He has offers from four MAC schools, including Akron, but is waiting for word from Michigan State.
- Chad Woodford, an unrated cornerback from San Bernardino Community College. Akron is his only offer, but Toledo and Minnesota are other options.
- Lamar Mason, a two-star safety from Pittsburgh. Akron, Toledo and Youngstown State are his three offers. With a 4.87 in the 40, he's not very fast for a 5-foot-10 safety.
University of Akron Zips blog Archives
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)