Most hardcore Zips fans hate Ohio State. They are right to believe the Buckeyes take potential fans away from Akron.
However, I believe all Zips fans should root for Ohio State to win the national championship tonight.
Here are five reasons why...
1) Jim Tressel coached at Akron and went to graduate school here. He has had nothing but good things to say about UA. He is one of the classiest coaches in the country, and you really can't root against him.
2) Akron played Ohio State competitively. The Zips led 2-0 after the first quarter and went into halftime trailing 3-2. If this was 2006, the Zips probably could have scored a couple more touchdowns and won. In basketball, we root for our opponents because it shows our own team's proficiency. Why not in football?
3) Chris Wells is an Akron guy. I remember hearing rumors of him visiting campus after he committed to Ohio State. Did he ever seriously consider Akron? Probably not. But he's still a local guy.
4) If Ohio State fans learn that you're rooting for LSU because you're an Akron fan, that will eliminate any chance of them going to a Zips game with you, or perhaps following Akron as a secondary team.
5) It's LSU. What connection do you have with Louisiana, besides a possible trip to Bourbon Street during college? Ohio State IS Ohio's team, whether we like it or not. We live in Ohio, and spite should not override that.
Despite thumping Miami and taking No. 20 Dayton to the wire, Akron did not receive a vote in the AP Poll or Coaches Poll.
The Zips' RPI is up to 110, however.
The new Mid-Major Top 25 comes out later today. I'll post it when it comes out.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)