You're probably all sick of hearing about the LeBron James/UA connection in the national media.
Truth is, it's one of the more interesting storylines in mid-major basketball.
James talks with Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel about how awesome it would be to see the Zips in the NCAA Tournament. LBJ is also excited to see Akron beat up rival Kent State. Doesn't that just warm your heart (despite the King's missed game-tying 3 last night)?
- UB coach Reggie Witherspoon praised the Zips' decision-making skills after last night's 87-69 UA win.
- Kent State athletic director Laing Kennedy told the Daily Kent Stater he's hoping the Flashes can outdraw Akron in their own stadium Sunday. Good to see he has high hopes for KSU's wishy washy fan base.
- As you might have guessed, Terry Pluto's story on Keith Dambrot was excellent. You should read it all, but here are some nuggets I picked out: Dambrot thinks the NCAA Selection Committee must look at any team that wins 25 games. The Zips are now 23-6. Also, when Travis sat out a game earlier this year, it was because he had a problem in a class.
- It's hard to convert your thinking, but Akron is now a veteran team. The next two weeks will either put Romeo Travis and Dru Joyce's jerseys in the rafters or have fans wondering, "What was so great about a duo that never won a conference tournament?"
- I won't be one of those people, but anything other than an appearance in the conference finals would be greatly disappointing.
- Going to the conference finals would mean beating Kent State at the Q. Expect that game to be one of the most highly anticipated matchups in recent tournament history.