Set aside all the thoughts of "Only losers are pleased without winning."
When a MAC team visits a ranked Big Ten team, the realistic goal is to show you can play with them. Winning, at this point at least, takes a ton of luck.
So I'm not upset about Akron's 34-16 loss to Penn State. Here's why...
- Joe Paterno kept his starters on the field until the end.
- John Mackey has turned into a playmaker. He plays on a defense full of them.
- Luke Getsy confirmed he is a great quarterback.
- The search for a second receiver seems solved. Remember these words: David Harvey is going to be a pro.
That said, Akron has some things to work on...
- Special teams must establish some consistency. There is nothing I hate more than wondering if an extra point will go in.
- The left part of the offensive line has to better protect Getsy's blind side.
- The secondary did not show me much. I know Derrick Williams is ridiculously fast, but the Zips' DBs looked out of position on many plays.
All in all, I think Terry Pluto got it right.
Akron rebounded from two losses Friday by beating Rhode Island Saturday, 3-1.
Going 1-2 this weekend is a tad disappointing after a strong tournament in West Virginia. But consider this: Akron's freshmen continue to impress. Colleen Dryja made the all-tournament team.
I have compliments for one Zips Web site and a question for another:
- The new GoZips.com looks really friggin good. I just hope the content matches the design.
- FearTheRoo.net's countdown only ended with a message: "JoePa fears the roo." Today, the site says "We've only just begun!" If the owner wants to lure fans from ZipsNation.org, he or she will have a difficult time and better have a heckuva gimmick.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)