We all knew this game would go the Zips' way.
That said, the real story is Akron's awful special teams performance.
Matt Domonkos missed two extra points and a 24-yard field goal. North Texas also blocked a punt and recovered an onside kick.
With MAC play continuing next week at Kent State, who surprisingly isn't that bad this season, the Zips have some serious issues with the most annoying part of football: kicking.
J.D. Brookhart does not appear to have options for replacing Domonkos -- probably the least reliable kicker in the nation.
Of course, there are several positives in a 33-13 win...
- David Harvey returned two kicks for 157 yards. You might be watching the MAC's most electrifying player.
- Andre Walker and Aaris Reed filled in nicely for Dennis Kennedy, who probably could have played if the Zips were playing someone other than North Texas. Both backups averaged over four yards a carry. Brookhart said Kennedy will play next week at Kent.
- Luke Getsy was very efficient, even though he didn't throw for 400 yards. I'll take 14 for 20 with three touchdowns and no interceptions any day.
- At 16,011, attendance was poor if you consider the Zips are playing at home for the first time since winning the MAC Championship, playing in their first bowl game and beating NC State. However, the student turnout was the best I've seen. Part of that is due to the Greek fest. Hopefully frat boys come out to the Rubber Bowl once the temperatures drop in November.
Here are results from around the MAC...
- I was shocked Kent State won at Bowling Green, 38-3. Then I looked at the stats. The Flashes worked with a short field the entire day because the Falcons had six turnovers to Kent's none.
- You're going to see a lot of people giving Kent a shot to win this game. I won't be one of them. This is the same team that Minnesota blew out 44-0. This is the same team that Army beat in overtime. The only way this is a close game is if Akron's special teams continues its impotence.
- In other MAC play, Missouri waxed Ohio.
- Northern Illinois creamed Indiana State.
- Syracuse showed how awful Miami really is.
- Western Michigan destroyed Temple.
- Toledo blew out McNeese State.
- North Dakota State upset Ball State.
- Central Michigan used overtime to beat Eastern Michigan.
- Buffalo put up a decent fight against Auburn before succumbing in the second half.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)