If only Toledo could play in the Big 12...
The Rockets beat Kansas and took Iowa State to triple overtime.
Of course, Toledo can't beat anyone else. In fact, It hasn't played many teams close. The Rockets suffered blow-out losses to Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Pittsburgh and Kent State.
Statistically, Toledo ...
- gives up the second-most points in the MAC (Akron gives up the fourth-least).
- has the MAC's worst turnover margin (third-best).
- is last in passing efficiency (middle of the pack).
- is third in first downs (eighth).
- racks up the second-most penalties (dead last).
- has the third-best red-zone offense (second to last).
- converts third downs better than all but one team (second to last).
- allows the third-most sacks (middle of the pack).
- Jalen Parmele is seventh in the MAC in rushing.
- Chris Hopkins is among the league leaders in receiving categories.
- At quarterback, Toledo shuffles between Clint Cochran and Aaron Opelt, who is more of a threat to run. Neither has played well enough to emerge as the clear-cut starter.
- No Rocket is among the top 25 in tackles.
- Linebacker Mike Alston is third in sacks and tackles for loss. He seems to be the defense's strongest player.
- VanDelay Sports says the Zips will win 28-16.
- The Zips will win by five points, oddsmakers say.
It shouldn't be to anyone's surprised that the writers picked Akron to win the MAC.
Toledo is expected to earn the MAC West crown. Ohio, Kent State, Miami, Buffalo and Bowling Green round out the East.