I just got back from Akron's 75-58 win over Toledo. A few notes...
- The Zips played a very balanced game offensively. Cedrick Middleton, Nick Dials, Dru Joyce and Romeo Travis each scored in double figures. Darryl Peterson also got back into the groove with a solid game of seven points and five rebounds.
- Toledo shot only 38 percent field goal percentage, compared to Akron's 56 percent.
- After missing a ton of 3's against Ball State, the shots started falling again. The Zips hit 10 of 20 from home run range, as Michael Reghi calls it.
- With two minutes left in the game, Dials threw an errant pass out of bounds. The Zips were winning by 15, but coach Keith Dambrot literally freaked out. He stomped his feet on the hardwood three times like a child throwing a tantrum. I'm not saying that's not a bad thing, though. It shows the discipline Dambrot expects at all times.
- An animated cartoon played on the video screen during a timeout in the second half. If you haven't seen it, I won't ruin it. I'll just say it's a very entertaining clips of Zippy taking out rival mascots, including Brutus Buckeye and that stupid slack-jawed Kent State bird. The highlight music videos and player introductions were also first class. This athletic department is making Akron seem more like a legitimate sports school one day at a time.
- The athletic department gave out free Fear the Roo cups after the game. Just another reason to get to Rhodes Arena.
- With the win, Akron should be jump several positions in TheCollegeInsider.com's Mid-Major Top 25. Before this week, Buffalo, Ohio, Northern Illinois and Toledo were ranked higher than the Zips. After Monday's poll update, I'd expect top 25 for sure for Akron.
- The Zips (8-3, 2-0) will return to action Tuesday at Western Michigan (4-8, 1-1).