Here is an interesting quote from Romeo Travis:
"All year long, people have been saying, 'Oh, it's just Akron. They're going to fold. They're going to give up,'" said Travis, who had 12 points and 10 rebounds. "We wanted to set the tone that we're here - and we're for real."
I think that encapsulates Akron's fans. They don't want to start following the team, only to be disappointed. That might be why there was such a huge turnout at the Motor City Bowl.
I think it will take a championship game to get those same fans excited. And Akron is one win away from that.
The Zips will play Toledo at Quicken Loans Arena tonight at 9.
- Here is an AP story that talks about the usual LeBron James/St. V/M connection. That's where I found the Travis quote.
- The Plain Dealer's Elton Alexander talks about how Toledo coach Stan Joplin may have more job security than most think.
- Toledo has won six straight games, all over bad MAC teams.
- The Zips beat the Rockets by 17 when the teams met Jan. 7 at Rhodes Arena.
- Akron will win by four, according to Danny Sheridan.
- I predict a 15-point Akron win over Toledo.
- Oddsmakers basically are saying the same thing.
- Sheridan says Kent State will beat Ohio by 10. Oddsmakers give Ohio a chance, saying the Bobcats will lose by 2.5 or 3.
- I predict a very close Kent State win.
- 2013 (110)
- 2012 (199)
- 2011 (225)
- 2010 (266)
- 2009 (380)
- 2008 (327)
- 2007 (561)
- 2006 (605)
- 2005 (89)